Sunday, January 22, 2012

all I do is eat fish everyday of my life

So Friday night, we went out to get sushi in Bayamón with a friend we met here and it was exactly how ours is in the states and the place looked like Sushi Rock. Jenn and I split a spicy crab roll and a Godzilla roll, which were great, and in the rolls you got to choose if you wanted avocado, mango, or pineapple. We got mango in our spicy crab roll and it was really good! The other nice thing is that when a Puerto Rican invites you out, they pay. So when I was disappointed at the end when they didn't have a chocolate dessert, our friend took us across the street to Chili's to get molten lava cake. And anybody who knows me (or any server at the local Applebee's) knows I am a crazy person for molten lava cake.

Saturday, we wanted to get to the beach but were too lazy to hop on the bus and decided to go to the pool instead. But why would the pool be open on the weekends? And on top of that, why is it so unacceptable to lay out on the lawns of the university? Either open your pool or loosen your policy people!!! Well, Jenn and I found a small solution to our craving for a tan, we climbed to the top floor of one of the buildings (which have their hallways outside, and therefore, their stairwells outside) and set up camp on the stair landing. Then came the rain. This is tropical rain, though, you know, that kind that comes when the sun is still shining and only lasts for 5 minutes. So we curled up under our umbrellas like the crazy Americans we are and waited for it to pass. If a news helicopter passed over, they would have had quite an interesting story.
When we got home, we had an angry hamper full of clothes asking to be cleaned. Since he wouldn't do it himself, we walked him down to the laundry room with a few dollar bills. It's a good thing the change machine was out of order and the guy at the front desk had no quarters, because I never want laundry to be dull and unadventurous. In fact, my ideal Saturday afternoon is spent in the laundry room or walking around the neighborhood in my bathing suit cover up to get quarters. So that's exactly what I did. I walked to this taco place that could only give me 8 quarters, we scraped up some of our own, and then crawled on the floor by vending machines and the washers to find the final quarter we needed. If you're friends with me on Facebook, you already got to see me playing around in the laundry room and fitting myself into the machines. While we were in there, another exchange student from Ohio visited us so we all decided to do something later with him and the 2 other student teachers from Massachusetts.
After all the clothes were done, we all went out for more sushi to this new restaurant that just opened up nearby. Jenn and I split the amarillo roll, which had a sweet plantain, avocado, cream cheese and spicy mayo, the spider roll and another spicy crab roll. The amarillo roll was really really really good, by the way :). Then we decided to check our a few of the college hang outs, and one of them had music to dance to and karaoke. While one guy was singing "Preciosa," a huge patriotic song that everyone in Puerto Rico knows, Jenn and I were following the words and the DJ offered us a microphone, so of course we sang! Then a girl came up to us to find the list of songs and asked us to sing with her, so we signed up for "Material Girl" and got cheered on as we sang that. It was a really fun night overall.

Today, Sunday, we went for a run and went with the girls to the beach. It's always really windy there, but the water was nice and we got some good tans. Afterwards, we went to this restaurant by the beach called Metropol. I got ceviche which was really good!

Well, that's 3 days in a row of fish, so tomorrow I ordered ribs for lunch at school. I also found a taco place that has tacos al pastor, which are real tacos, not those American things everyone thinks are tacos. Hopefully I get to go there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment