Friday, July 4, 2014

Cartago, los sube-y-bajas, food update, & 4th of July

Yesterday, I went back to the old city Cartago, but this time I visited the market, the train tracks and the garden at the museum.
The market is kind of like the west side market, but more like the one I visited in Puerto Rico. They even had bags to scoop your own pet food along with a ton of fruit stands, stands that sold meat and other food products, and even tourist items and clothing accessories.

After that, we followed the train tracks back to where our bus was. These were very nice train tracks, except some cars were parked on them. My professor said as long as you know what time the train comes, you can park there. Hopefully you don't run late!

We passed a pretty garden along the way, so we took a nice group photo. It was in front of a museum, but we didn't have enough time to go in.

The best part of the day, though, was walking back home with my amigos and convincing them to come to the park in my development to play on the sube-y-baja... the see-saw! I finally was able to find someone around my weight, so we partnered up and had soooo much fun. We also climbed a tree, swung on the swings, went down the slide, and played on the monkey bars. I love the times I get to act like I'm a kid again :).

FOOD UPDATE------
These are nances, a fruit that tastes like a more sour version of the golden delicious apple and is much smaller and softer. They have a nance tree at my house and make a drink with it and milk.
This is a guanabana, the fruit that heals your cells of cancer and has all kinds of other benefits. They make juice, ice cream, juices and jelly with this.
This is mayonnaise, but in a pouch you squeeze. They also had one that was in a bottle to squeeze as well, but it's not open yet.
This is what we had for dinner tonight, which is chicken, rice, arañitas, which are shredded platanos that are fried, and manuelitas, which are crepes filled with sweet cheese and cinnamon.
Below is a popsicle made of hocote fruit and milk.
This breakfast is banana, mango, papaya, toast with strawberry jelly, rice and beans, huevos con chorizo, and cafe con leche.
Ham and cheese crepe with a cream sauce and a salad from a restaurant near the university.
Chicken leg, rice, and veggies.
For breakfast, an egg and rice mix that turns into an omelet type thing, but kind of like a rice cake as well. Rice and beans on the side of course.
Pork ribs, pasta, and rice. Don't ask me why pasta and rice. I think it must be a sin here to not always always always have either rice or beans here. The drink is made with pineapple juice and rice and it's good for your kidneys. All juices in this house are homemade, I don't think I can ever go back to store-bought... not that I really drink juice in the States anyways...


Today, July 4th, my housemate and I dressed in red, white and blue, but that was the extent to which we celebrated.
We went to a pizza place for lunch, saw some musicians at a fair at the university, went to the mall, and then spent the night doing homework. I also watched TV and there was a program of comedians doing skits like Saturday Night Live and I understood most of the jokes.
Here are the musicians we saw:
Gas is also at astronomical prices, they told us how much in liters, and I did the math to see that it is at $5.60 a gallon USD!!! They do not advertise the price on signs, though, you have to drive up to the pump to see the price!

Tomorrow: another volcano and some gardens, AND HOLLAND VS. COSTA RICA in FIFA!!!
Sunday: Turtle Island on the pacific coast
Stay tuned... !

No comments:

Post a Comment