Sunday, July 12, 2009

Segovia

Yesterday, we traveled to Segovia. It is a more touristic town, so I was finally able to get some magnets and other gifts for my family. I also bought a full size flag, which I’m really excited about! This is the town with the aqua ducts- this cool looking bridge thing that transports water from the mountains to the city. I’ll try to put a pic up on here to show you, but if not, ill have pics of it up on Facebook. We also saw some really nice landscapes and churches. Our house mothers packed us lunches to eat in Segovia. There was a festival going on there though, so it was so crowded we couldn’t find a place to sit. Finally, we just sat on the side of some buildings in the street and ate our lunch like homeless people. Segovia is also home to the Alcazar, one of the castles that Walt Disney used to design his. The castle was so huge and pretty inside. We climbed 152 stairs up through the tower to go on top of the castle. I would love to live there, and I couldn’t believe how big it was. The moat around it was at least 6 stories below the entrance, and then you still have to take 152 stairs to the top. I can only imagine how many floors it must have. It also had a lot of things made out of gold on the inside including tapestries, furniture, and the walls and ceilings. Of course before we left Segovia, we bought ice cream. It is so unbelievable how much better the ice cream is here! I’m going to miss it so much. What I don’t believe, is that it is made by Nestle! I don’t know why Nestle sells all their crappy stuff to America and ships all the good ice cream to Europe. It is so much softer, but doesn’t melt as fast, and has chocolate chips in it, and never has freezer burn.
After Segovia, my Italian roommate Giulia made us pizza. She said that the pizza is just like you have in Italy. We had crust with tomato sauce on it, and then small slices of provolone scattered that didn’t cover the whole pizza. Then she sprinkled it with parmesan cheese and oregano and topped it with cherry tomato slices. It was really good! When I get home, I’m going to try to make some of the stuff she does. Later, we went out to a popular club here, where an older man was having a bachelor party. The guys looked like they were in the mob with pin-striped suits and hats. They were so funny looking because everybody else in the club was young. The man said this was his 5th marriage! If I failed 4 times before, I don’t think I would try again, but I guess divorce is very common here. Me and my friends practiced our Spanish with them and they gave us a few pointers about Valladolid. At first, they seemed like creepers but in the end they were just sweet old grandpas that just wanted a little fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment