Friday, July 3, 2009

first day in spain

So today I arrived in Spain. The plane ride from Newark to here was only 6 hours, but I never want to take a flight where youre supposed to sleep again. It´s just to hard to sleep upright.
Anyways, when we got here, if I didn´t know I arrived in Spain, I would´ve thought this was America. In Madrid, they have tall buildings like any other city and you still drive on the right side of the road. Valladolid, where I am staying, has older and shorter buildings with cool architecture but still looks similar to America. The sidewalks are even wider than those in NYC and they have cafes all over them, there´s a shopping center that looks like Crocker Park, and a park that looks like Central Park.
My other roommate is from Italy but she hasnt gotten here yet. She is coming Sunday. My Mama is really nice though, but sometimes we can´t understand eachother. She only speaks Spanish. She is diabetic so everything she makes is healthy which is good. It is different how they eat. Breakfast and dinner are eaten on your own. I can go out to eat or heat something up if I want. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day and you have it with family. We had 3 courses. The first course was brocoli and potatoes, the second was chicken, and the last course is always fruit and we had an apple. I would have liked eating the broccoli and potatoes better with the chicken instead of by themselves. Who sits there and eats just vegetables?
After I got settled in I called a girl, Kassie, from my group to meet up and walk around the city. We went to the park and the plaza and had our first shopping experience together. We both wanted ice cold water because at our homes, they drink only warm water. The guys at the bar were very nice and slowed down their talking so we could understand. A bottle of water costs about 2 euros.
In the shopping center there was some stores we knew like sephora and rolex. We went in the sephora and I think the perfumes were cheaper, but I´m not really sure because the prices were in euros. There was also a store called "womens secret" and it sold lingerie and bathing suits kind of like victorias secret. It doesn´t have anything like the Pink brand though. I also went to a grocery store which smelled literally fishy. They also had pigs legs hanging up. The fruit section looked a lot like a farmers market and the beauty section seemed expensive.
I will try to put up pictures later but I´m not on my own computer now.
¡Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment